Sunday 23 February 2014

Egyptian Adventure Part 3 - The Nubian Village


The next highlight of the trip was a visit to a traditional Nubian village. We got onto a small boat and headed down the Nile towards the village in the afternoon. I must say the river Nile is a thing of beauty coupled with the civilization on one side and just clear desert on the other. The view is quite something.

When we hit the village , the tour group took us to a school in the village. Being the desert , there main open areas of the school have sand there instead of concrete like in the more modern areas. we got into one of the classrooms where one of the teachers taught us a bit of Arabic. It was quite fun since he picked out random people to recite what he taught and when they got it wrong he proceeded to administer some old school punishment. It was quite funny!

Once done with the school we headed around the village to do a little shopping at the local vendors. Those guys were awesome. They didn't pester us like some guys did in Cairo but were very friendly and inviting. I managed to haggle a bit and got my Anubis canopic jar for half price!!

Next we went to a local lady, Zahara, who was quite hospitable. she invited us into her house for tea and to spend some time. Her house was fairly modern , had running water and electricity, however the central lounge area also had sand in there. Totally not what anyone is used to! They did keep some pet alligators , just the baby ones. I got to hold one for awhile. She was quite charming to be honest, id imagine that charm would wear off once she was able to eat me! Zahara had a little baby girl , who was cool to let me carry her but started crying the moment i did.. But the baby alligator fought to stay in my arms!

The strangest part of this trip was that the Nubian people, all thought i was either Nubian or Egyptian. It was really strange having random people come up to me and speak to me in Arabic. I can only imagine how much different my trip would have been if i could speak Arabic. Maybe some day ill learn and go back there!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)